Sunday, October 7, 2012

A SUNDAY TAKING AN UNEXPECTED TURN

I woke up this morning thinking that we didn't really have a plan for today. It was a good feeling to wake up on this beautiful fall day. The air was chilly, but the sky was clear blue. The sun was warming against the skin. I decided that Jacob and I would go for a walk.

We had a great Sunday. Joakim and I were working in the yard. We planted some new bushes in the front yard. I got rid of my vegetable garden for the season. Sarah was carving a pumpkin. Jacob took a long nap. My plan was still to go for a walk with Jacob when he woke up from his nap.

The walk never happened. Jacob started seizing instead. He has had a few more seizures in the last week, but I was sure with a dose of Keppra that we would be able to continue with our day. We executed Jacob's whole seizure action plan, the last step being calling 911.

Since he was still seizing when the ambulance crew came, they gave him Versed before we left. Jacob tried so hard to get out of the seizure in the ambulance, but he never got fully out of it.

When we finally arrived in the ED, he had been seizing for close to 2 hours. When the doctor started talking about intubating Jacob and giving him a Versed drip (continuous seizure medication through an IV), I knew it was time to get Dr. C. involved. I texted her, and within seconds, she was calling me. I can't say enough wonderful things about her, and how she never hesitates to get involved. She quickly came up with a plan with the attending doctor, and literally within minutes of receiving Phenobarbital, Jacob's seizure stopped. I simply love Dr. C.

The two hours of seizing was bringing back many emotional memories of Jacob's uncontrolled seizures. We have been here before. It has just been a very long time, almost two years. It always seems to happen around Halloween. It scares me to death when Jacob seizes and there is absolutely no reason why he would seize. He has no infection in his body or any indicators that his body is fighting anything. He is just seizing - long and hard. Tonight, I can't even wrap my head around what brain damage might have happened from all that seizing tonight. And I am scared that he will be intubated, that he will need medications where he won't be able to breathe on his own. Jacob is not a kid you want to intubate. The risk of not getting him to breathe on his own again is just very high. This is my darkest place with Jacob when we're stuck in seizure land with no rhyme or reason.

Jacob went into status once again tonight. With the help of his evening seizure medications, he is now sleeping, not seizing. Please send positive thoughts, strenghts, and prayers to our lovely Jacob.

Love, Maria.



6 comments:

  1. We are here for you all. Our love is being sent out to Children's tonight. Karen and Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I am looking forward to see you and Zane tomorrow. It will brighten up our day!

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I am so sorry and sad that this is happening again! Since I haven't known you guys for very long yet, it is always so hard to comprehend how fast things turn bad. We just had such a fun day with you all and now he is not doing well at all again. Ugh. it is heart breaking! Much love to you all and we are always thinking of you guys and sending healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Nadia...but that is why the pumpkin patch is such a precious day for us and Jacob. We just never know how many good days we get before seizures or a respiratory infection hit again. Jacob is in deep sleep tonight, and I am hoping for a better day tomorrow! Today he was crazy lethargic from all the medications he got yesterday to stop the seizure madness. Jacob can't wait to have his craft day with Selina. Sarah is already planning it out for him :-

    ReplyDelete
  4. (-: I am glad he is sleeping, I hope he gets out of it soon. Tell him Selina is planning craft day too and she was also sick this weekend, still not eating much. And yeah, live in the moment and cherrish the little things and the time we have. We are trying hard, I am SO glad too we got together despite the cold. Take care and I hope Mamma gets some rest too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadia. We so want to get together when jacob is up for it again.

      Delete