Saturday, July 13, 2013

I THINK I AM READY...

It all started here...Will you join us?...5 months ago I decided to ride in honor of Samantha and my son Jacob benefiting Children's Hospital. 150 miles of road biking in the mountains over the course of 3 days.

I got my first road bike as an early birthday present, and here I was ready to hit the road for the first time!


I had honestly no idea what I was getting myself into. I remember riding up the hill to NCAR in Boulder for the first time feeling I could walk faster than I could pedal. I remember balancing on the bike as I was grabbing my water bottle. I remember my first fall straight into a flower bed in a park going less than 10 miles/hour...legs were bruised for quite awhile. I remember being scared to death going downhill. I remember getting used to having cars around me as I was getting used to sharing the roads.

I remember having the best beer ever with my biking buddies after what we felt back then was a long ride. I remember having the best meals ever as the biking trips got longer. My appetite was increasing. My sore legs were tired, and a hot bath became part of my Saturday afternoon routine.

One hill deserves another big hill became our motto. We started conquer one hill climb after the next. From NCAR, we rode up Flagstaff, we then conquered Super flagstaff.  We rode up Lookout  Mountain a couple of times. Vail Pass was not as hard as I thought it would be. We conquered Ward. I turned into someone who loves a good steep hill climb making my heart pump really hard, and of course the reward of going downhill!





We went from thinking an hour or two on the bike was a good workout to five to six hours on the bike.



In the middle of becoming a biker the best part was to enjoy all beautiful nature in our state Colorado, friendships forming and deepening, and of course raising money for Children's Hospital!


 
 

 
 
 
 
 And this is where I ended my bike training. In Hygiene, I recharged with a cup of coffee and the best sandwich ever (turkey, gruyere and red pepper on multi-grain bread) before biking the last 15 miles back to Boulder.



I never thought I would say it, but I think I am ready for the Courage Classic!

http://www.couragetours.com/2013/jacobhallberg

Love, Maria.

2 comments:

  1. I know I keep saying it, but I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Deana! Next year you should join us! We would love to have you on our team!

    ReplyDelete